Skip to content

There’s a Man With a Gun Over There

August 24, 2011

Courtesy of: TFTS blog post by Kevin Schram, 1 December, 2009

“VT Alerts Person with a gun reported near Dietrick. Stay inside. Secure doors. Emergency personnel responding. Call 911 for help.”  That was the message at 9:51am on August 4, 2011 that began a 5-hour lockdown (a loose term that was not officially used as it is impossible to completely lockdown the campus) at Virginia Tech.  During those hours and beyond, campus and local police searched the campus for a person reported to possibly be carrying a gun.

After first checking in with my staff in the Squires Student Center (I was in a training in another building), my next stop was Twitter.  I was hoping to get some additional information from someone who might be outside and saw this supposed individual.  Instead, what I saw across numerous hashtag feeds was a barrage of tweets from all across the country.

Some of these included the basic VT stated alert that I began this blog with.  Others sent messages of prayers and hopes for safety to the people on campus (including some DM’s to me…thank you to my concerned friends).  While many of the rest were a mix of “oh no, not again” and “what are they doing at Virginia Tech to breed this type of people” and others along the same lines.  Within minutes assumptions of what was happening were running wild.  This continued throughout the day and over the next few days, laying claims that Virginia Tech is some feeding ground for people with guns and that the campus is unsafe.

I can tell you firsthand that this is the furthest from the truth.  The response I witnessed was swift and thorough.  Some say the campus overacted, but you must remember the sensitive nature of this subject here at Virginia Tech, every precaution was taken to secure the safety of the people on campus.

I was most disturbed by two tweets.  The first was a series of messages stating that there was a “gunman” on campus.  I get a very different image from the word “gunman” than I do from “person with a gun”.  For those following on Twitter, that subtle change in wording turned an investigation into an action of someone firing in campus (note: no shots were ever fired this day).  The second message came around 11am and said that “D-2 was now open and given the all-clear.”  This message that was retweeted by at least 4 others from what I could find was completely false (the official alert remained in effect until 2:52).  Imagine if people began leaving because of this message and there was an actual gunman waiting outside.

Thankfully this event turned up nothing but an inconvenienced day and a solid exercise of our campus emergency response plan (I do not know whether there was or was not a person with a gun, only that there were no other sightings).  However, the world of Twitter quickly spawned multiple assumptions, accusations and rehashing of events from April 16, 2007 (in which 32 members of Virginia Tech were killed).

This has really made me think about what that day would have been like had Twitter existed or social media been as widespread as it is today.  What would the messages have been?  We are on the verge of the traditional media becoming obsolete because the people facing these incidents have social media on their side and can spread the message faster than anyone else.  So what kind of responsibility should come from this?  Many people complain that the media does not do a good job of remaining unbiased.  What I witnessed in the Twitterverse was the same scenario in many ways.

With all of the positive and negative impacts that social media has played in the world this past year (Egypt, London, and even a mall in Cleveland), what do you think is our responsibility?  I challenge people to REthink before they (RE:)tweet.

Advertisements
17 Comments leave one →
  1. January 25, 2015 10:21 am

Hi, wypadajace wlosy simply wanted to mention, I liked this post kamery
    Radom. This became funny opiekunka osób starszych. Keep on writing!

2. January 30, 2015 5:02 am

What’s up, p718 wanted to mention, I enjoyed this article p4154.
    That was practical 3675. Carry on posting!

3. February 6, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi there, strony internetowe simply wanted to mention, I enjoyed
    this article strony www. It had been practical tanie strony www. Continue
    on publishing!

4. February 7, 2015 11:30 am

What’s up, strony internetowe simply wanted to mention, I loved this article tanie strony www. This had
    been practical strony www. Keep submitting!

5. February 9, 2015 7:44 am

Hi there, ścianki szklane wanted to mention, I liked this blog post ścianki szklane.
    This has been funny ścianki szklane. Continue on writing!

6. February 16, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi there, strony internetowe merely wanted to say, I loved this article
    strony internetowe. That it was funny strony
    internetowe. Continue writing!

7. February 18, 2015 3:39 pm

What’s up, problemy skórne leczenie I just want to mention, I loved
    this blog post na trądzik. That it was funny na trądzik.
    Keep on publishing!

8. February 18, 2015 5:41 pm

What’s up, tanie meble biurowe wanted to say,
    I enjoyed this article p576413. It was actually helpful na trądzik.

Continue publishing!

9. March 2, 2015 2:48 am

What’s up, transport medyczny Lódz I just wanted to tell you,
    I enjoyed this blog post transport medyczny Lódz.
    That was practical transport medyczny Lódz. Keep going writing!

10. March 17, 2015 10:38 am

Hello, strony internetowe cennik I just wanted to tell you, I enjoyed this article strony internetowe cennik.
    This was helpful strony internetowe cennik. Continue posting!

11. March 31, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi, kostka brukowa Libet I just wanted to say, I liked this post kostka brukowa Libet.
    That was funny brukarstwo Kraków. Keep writing!

12. April 1, 2015 4:06 am

Hello, meble do zabudowy I just want to mention, I liked this article meble do zabudowy.
    It actually was helpful meble do zabudowy. Continue submitting!

13. April 15, 2015 7:23 am

Hi there, strony internetowe wanted to mention, I liked this
    post strony internetowe. It was funny strony internetowe.

Continue on publishing!

14. April 15, 2015 9:05 am

Hello, strony internetowe I just wanted to
    mention, I loved this post strony internetowe. It seemed to be helpful strony internetowe.
    Continue publishing!

15. April 15, 2015 11:14 am

Hi there, strony internetowe I just want to say,
    I loved this article strony internetowe. It
    was pretty funny strony internetowe. Keep going posting!

16. April 15, 2015 11:36 am

Hello, strony internetowe I just want to mention, I loved this post strony internetowe.
    This has been funny strony internetowe. Continue submitting!

17. April 30, 2015 3:12 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about black sesame.

Regards